I know some of you, my blog readers, are perhaps not completely in the Olympics “party” mode at the moment, but here’s a reminder — culled from Kwantlen university’s “special events” calendar — of how others are viewing this. I leave it up to you to post your ironic suggestions for additions to this tour.
Tour of Olympic Venues
Open to Members and Non-Members
An Adventure for “Has Been” and “Wannabe” Athletes
Be part of the pre-Olympic excitement as Vancouver prepares to host the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
This program will focus on the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver and the resort community of Whistler, giving us an unparalleled view which will be accessible to few people in our age group. In Vancouver we will visit the skating oval, snowboard venue, and the athletes’ village. A trip to Whistler will spotlight the ski locations and the environmental aspects of the 2010 Olympics. While there, we will:
- examine the plans to implement sustainable environmental principles for the games
- visit a mountain peak venue and learn about various Olympic sports
- listen while local organizers share thoughts of hosting a world-class event
- hear the Olympic Whistler Arts Council and Paralympic story
This three and a half day program includes:
- transportation by bus, Rocky Mountaineer train, and gondola
- 3 nights’ accommodation, one night at the Executive Hotel in downtown Vancouver, and two nights in Whistler (hotel TBA)
- 3 breakfasts, 4 lunches and 2 dinners
Dates: Mon May 25 to Thu May 28, 2009
Cost: $1000 plus GST per person, double occupancy, for 20-26 participants
$1100 plus GST per person, double occupancy, for 15-19 participants
Single occupancy TBA
Group Size: Minimum 15, maximum 26
Expect to walk up to 3 km on varied terrain and be outside and standing while listening to speakers at the venue sites.
Registration and payment: Roy Jantzen
52 – 181 Ravine Drive,
Port Moody, V3H 4T3
Please Register By: Jan 30, 2009 with $200 deposit.
Final payment due Mar 30, 2009
Registrations will be taken after January 20, but there is a need to know if we meet the minimum requirement, so please try to register early. Cheques payable to Roy Jantzen.
For more information: Wendy Fidgeon
Note: If you decide to drive and park in Vancouver for this program, an additional parking cost of $12/day will apply at the hotel. $15 for valet parking. If you would like to stay in Vancouver for the night, either before or after the program, the charge is $96 per night, per person, double occupancy. Make your own booking.